Several months ago, in search for an industrial designer, Fred and Jeremy put this ad out on the internet: “Where have all the good designers gone and where are all the gods? Where’s the streetwise artist to fight the rising odds? Isn’t there a white knight upon a fiery steed? Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need…”
Okay, you caught us, that’s a Bonnie Tyler song. She really said it best, though. The bottom line: we were wanting to improve our products and we needed a professional. We didn’t want just anyone… we were holding out for a hero.
Enter, Patrick Healy, Tortuga’s very first in-house industrial designer: roguish, devil-may-care, rough around the edges but with stars in his eyes. Tune in for a glimpse of his story, how he joined Tortuga, his transition from being self-employed, and some tips for those interested in becoming industrial designers as well.
In This Episode
- 00:35 Meet Patrick
- 02:00 Dealing with digital distractions
- 05:18 Patrick’s average Tortuga workday
- 13:16 How Patrick joined Tortuga
- 21:45 Fears/concerns about joining Tortuga
- 26:50 Hopes for working with Tortuga
- 31:33 Advice for aspiring industrial designers
- 40:35 Design process/design philosophy
- 54:53 Tortuga V3!
- 58:00 Word to the Wise
People On This Episode
Word to the Wise
- Jeremy: 27″ 5K iMac – An amazing desktop computer that really delivers the most bang for your buck, and with image quality that’s so good, you won’t want to look at anything else.
- Patrick: Minimalism! Invest in a few quality things and get rid of the rest.
Feedback and Questions
If you have any feedback about the show or questions for us to answer on the air, email: podcast at tortuga backpacks dotcom.