If you think ecommerce can be an experience, not just a transaction, join us and help to build the future.
At Tortuga Backpacks, you will create the visual identity and web experience for a successful, but still growing, travel company. Join us as the second full-time member of our design team alongside Patrick, our industrial designer.
Please note that we are a small team. You should have a holistic skill set and be willing to take on any design-related challenge from research to conception to development. If you prefer to stay in your lane and avoid challenges, do not apply.
Apply on our jobs site or keep reading for more details about the role.
Your Mission (Should You Choose to Accept It)
To grow Tortuga Backpacks’ community of travelers through amazing customer experiences with our websites and products.
We use these objectives to evaluate applicants. Use your past work to show us that you can accomplish everything in this list.
- Research, design, and build a modern ecommerce website that tells a story and engages our community of travelers, not just one that sells products. Examples: Pencil, Smart Bedding, Trunkster, Everlane, Beard Brand.
- Define Tortuga Backpacks’ brand identity for use on our web sites, product packaging and labeling, and marketing.
- Publish brand guidelines for the rest of the team to use.
- Create packaging, labeling, and inserts for our new and redesigned products to improve our customer experience.
- Improve the website and blog through A/B testing and conversion optimization
- Jill/Jack-of-All-Trades: Taking on any design-related challenge while learning new skills and upgrading existing ones.
- Ecommerce User Experience: Creating an ecommerce experience that tells a story, builds a community, and sells products, not just a stock theme. Bonus points for experience with Shopify, our ecommerce platform.
- Branding: Defining the visual identity of a brand from (almost) scratch.
Do Not Apply If…
- You don’t care deeply about travel. If you ever get sick of thinking about travel, we are not the right company for you.
- You like working at a big company. We are a small business. There is no HR department. There are no layers of management. If you need something done, you do it.
Aside from getting to work with other travel lovers, all full-time employees receive the following benefits.
- Work from Anywhere: Tortuga Backpacks is 100% distributed. Decide where you work best, whether that’s from home, a coffeeshop, a co-working space, or another country. Jenn recently wrote about 10 reasons why working for a distributed team rocks.
- Team Retreats: Once per year, we gather in one place to work together, to plan the future of the company, and to have fun in-person. Here’s the story of why. Our last retreat was in San Sebastían, Spain.
- Unlimited Vacation: You decide how much of a break you need and when. Just promise to tell us about your trip when you get back.
- Free Gear: All the bags and accessories you need for your future travels.
- Total Coverage: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance. We pay 100% of your premiums and 50% of your dependents’ premiums.
If you can be great at the role described above, we would love to hear from you. Apply on our job site. Leave any questions in the comments of this post. We look forward to reading your application.