Ultimate Guide To Luggage
The Tortuga Promise
At Tortuga, our mission is to make travel easier. Our advice and recommendations are based on years of travel experience. We only recommend products that we use on our own travels.
Table of Contents
Every great adventure starts with packing.
Packing isn’t the exciting part of the trip, but you have to get it right to enjoy the rest of your journey.
As you prepare for your trip, you might be asking:
- What type of bag should I take?
- Will the bag fit in the overhead bin?
- Will I have to check a bag and pay for it?
- Will I have enough room to bring back souvenirs?
All these questions (and more) will be answered below so that you can find the right luggage for your travel style.
Types of Luggage
How you travel will determine what luggage you need. Doing a workcation from a beachside Airbnb requires different luggage than backpacking across Europe.
Here are the most common types of travel bags:
Go From Checked Bags to
Carry On Only
If you’re used to checking bags, traveling carry-on-only might seem impossible. But it’s not.
To get started, follow this gradual, three-step process to move from checked bags to carry-on-only travel.
- Go From Two Checked Bags to Only One
- Check a Smaller Bag and Use a Carry On Backpack
- Use Only a Carry On Backpack and Personal Item
Carry On Travel Backpacks
Once you’ve made the switch to carry ons, consider a
- Shop Travel Backpacks
- What is the Best Size for a Travel Backpack?
- What’s the Best Backpack Suitcase Combo?
Carry On Backpacks
- Shop Carry On Backpacks
- Guide to Carry On Luggage Size
- Guide to Carry On Weight Limits
- Ultimate Carry On Packing List
- Is a Backpack a Carry On?
- How to Pack Two Carry On Bags and Get Away With It
- Carry Ons vs. Personal Items
- How to Travel With a Laptop in Your Carry On
Personal items are secondary bags that let you pack more within your
- Personal Item Sizes by Airline
- How to Travel with Just a Personal Item
- Ultimate Personal Item Packing List
- Is a Backpack a Personal Item?
- Is a Duffle Bag a Personal Item?
Types of Travelers
Travelers have different needs, and the best luggage for one person may not be the best for another. Here are a few luggage guides for common types of travelers.
- Digital Nomad Travel Backpacks
- One Bag Travel Backpacks
- Commuter Backpacks
- Business Travel Backpacks – Guide to Choosing a Business Backpack
- Women’s Travel Backpacks – Guide to Women Finding the Perfect Fit
- Men’s Travel Backpacks – Guide to Choosing a Travel Backpack
Important Luggage Features
Looking for a specific feature for your
- Front Loading Backpacks – Front-Loader Backpacks vs Top-Loader Backpacks for Travel
- Water-Resistant Backpacks – Do You Need a Waterproof Backpack for Travel?
- Anti-Theft Backpacks
- 30 Liter Backpacks
- 40 Liter Backpacks
- Backpack Hip Belt
- Laptop Backpacks
How to Tutorials
How to Pack
- How to Pack a Carry On
- How to Pack a Travel Backpack
- How to Pack a Backpack for Europe
- How to Pick Between Packing Cubes vs Compression Bags
- How to Pack a Duffle Bag