TL;DR: the Setout Backpack is getting a couple of new friends: packing cubes and a packable daypack. Both accessories will launch this Spring.
So why make more? We don’t make basically-identical products with different names. We want to add value with every new product, not just make more stuff and slap our logo on top. The world has enough stuff.
If we’re going to make two sets of packing cubes and two daypacks (or more than two daypacks…. hint, hint for the future), we’re going to make two notably different daypacks designed for different needs and different travel preferences.
Setout, as a travel backpack, blends best-in-class comfort with organization at an approachable price point. We took those same values and are incorporating them into accessories to complement the Setout Backpack. Starting with a daypack and a set of packing cubes.
The main body fabric for the daypack is a black 30D ripstop nylon. It’s very light and packs up small to save you room in your carry on.
The packing cubes use a heathered grey polyester: the same fabric we used on the Setout Backpack. Featuring a great handfeel, a DWR coating for weather resistance, and a look that allows you to blend in to the commuter force; instead of standing out as a tourist (as you might with a brightly-colored bag).
Here’s a close-up shot of the packing cubes’ fabric:
Both products will have YKK zippers, which are considered the best on the market. If you’ve ever delt with a broken zipper, or one that’s frustrating to close, you’ll appreciate why we think it’s important to spend a little extra on the best quality.
Features of the Setout Daypack
- Zippered front pocket for organizing small items
- Packs away into its own pocket
- Padded air mesh back panel and shoulder straps for comfort and breathability
- Adjustable sternum strap
- Water bottle pockets
- Sized to carry your in-flight essentials en route and everything you need for a day of sightseeing once you land
- Fits under the seat of an airplane for use as a personal item
Features of the Setout Packing Cubes
- Fits the Setout Backpack perfectly
- Comes as a set of three with one larger cube (pictured) and two smaller ones
- Has a mesh top so that you can quickly see what’s packed inside
- Uses high-quality YKK zippers with double pulls, which makes it easier to stuff them as full as possible
The daypack and packing cubes launch sometime this spring. In the coming weeks, we’ll share more details with you including specs, pricing, and imagery.
Want more like this?
Get weekly travel hacks, gear reviews, and packing tips sent straight to your inbox. We’ll send you a carry on packing list right away.