Most companies that are just starting up are typically at a loss for knowledge and resources about how to shoot good product videos. Luckily, we’ve got a secret weapon: Jeremy. We’re sharing his knowledge and insight with you!
In this half of our two-fold episode (check out part 1 here), Fred and Jeremy discuss techniques and tools for ways to make great product videos: places and times to get great shots, post-production tools, and more. You may want to grab a notepad and a pen for this one. Go ahead, we’ll wait.
In This Episode
- 01:51 Keep it short
- 03:06 Cut the crap
- 06:20 Does your story make sense?
- 08:38 Use manual focus and have an AC help you
- 10:44 Don’t use out of focus footage, be better than that.
- 13:14 The Magic Hour: When to shoot outdoors
- 14:34 Go to pretty places
- 16:03 Talking heads techniques
- 17:48 Have other methods for recording audio
- 19:07 Shoot at least 2 angles on an interview
- 19:50 LOTS of B-Roll
- 21:45 Expect problems and learn from them
- 29:08 White background techniques
- 30:18 Common mistakes in product videos
- 34:03 Low-budget options
- 36:09 Post-production tools
- 37:00 Create a story and don’t steal music
- 38:12 Where to spend money
- 41:10 If/When to hire an editor or post-production service
- 44:35 Word to the Wise
People On This Episode
Links from This Episode
- Power Trip 011a – The first half of this podcast episode (Hacking Product Photos)
- Nike commercial – Beautifully shot commercial directed by David Fincher
- FiLMiC PRO – Apple used this to shoot their iPad commercial
- ZOOM H4n, Lavalier microphone, Dictaphone – Devices for recording audio
- Fast 50 portrait lens – 50mm lens for DSLR cameras
- The Tree of Life – Movie with great style to emulate for filming/editing
- Marmoset – Great source for stock music
- VoiceBunny – Where to find professionals for voice-overs
Word to the Wise
- Jeremy: nvALT – Plain-text note-taking app, also makes organizing and searching for your notes super easy
- Fred: Noto – Note-taking app that allows you to quickly take a note and send it to email
Win a $100 Tortuga Backpacks Gift Card
Every month we give away a $100 gift card to someone who subscribes to and reviews the podcast. Subscriptions, ratings, and reviews are helpful for getting the show ranked and discovered by other travelers. We appreciate your help spreading the word about Power Trip.
- Subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or your podcatcher of choice with our RSS feed.
- Leave a review in iTunes.
- Fill out this form after you’ve done both for a chance to win a gift card.
Feedback and Questions
If you have any feedback about the show or questions for us to answer on the air, email: podcast at tortuga backpacks dotcom.