Do you love to travel and, more importantly, talk about travel? Have you ever helped someone else plan a trip? Are you the go-to source of travel info for your friends?
Then we want you to join our team as a Concierge. You’ll help fellow travelers choose the right gear and ensure they have a great trip.
But first, a bit of information about us.
Why Tortuga Backpacks?
We are a small, fast-growing company that’s just starting to hit its stride. We had the idea for Tortuga on a backpacking trip in 2009. After experiencing the shortcomings of travel backpacks first hand, we’ve been obsessed with fixing them ever since. We’re solving real problems, not just selling stuff.
Tortuga has been named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies and nominated for Carryology’s Best Carry On Award. Our first product was a hit, and we are about to release two more. Next year will be a big one for us. Will you be a part of it?
We’re posting this opportunity here and not on a job board because we hope our next team member will come from within our community or via referral. Keep reading to learn more about the role and to see if you’re a good fit.
You Might Be a Good Fit If…
You are empathetic. Anyone can reply to a customer with a generic, pre-written email. You care about the problem and won’t stop until it’s fixed. You will be the customer’s advocate. Can you stay positive when dealing with a tough customer? We’ve found that a considered, honest response will defuse most situations.
You love travel. You haven’t been everywhere (yet) but you want to go. Your passion for travel should be infectious, even through email or Facebook. Customers identify with us because we’re passionate travel junkies, not a faceless corporation.
You take initiative. You should have a bias for action both in working with customers and in creating new projects. Have a good idea? Let’s do it. No presentations, multiple approvals, or layers of management required.
You’re a great writer. Your job is to provide clear, concise, and helpful answers via email. Good writing is crucial. We’ll be reading your application closely.
You double check. Dealing with customers’ orders (and money) carries a lot of responsibility. You don’t take that lightly. You check and double check everything to avoid mistakes that will create more work.
You think in systems. At Tortuga, we build systems and document them to make our jobs easier. We use Standard Operating Procedures so that the business is reliant on a system, not on any one person. If you like making checklists, you’re in the right place.
You want to learn. You should be comfortable acknowledging mistakes, getting feedback, and asking for help. Unlike most people, you embrace a challenge and want to improve every day.
You will be the Concierge helping travelers take amazing trips. That’s our mission. On a daily basis, you will:
- Answer questions via email and social media about our products and occasionally provide packing and travel advice.
- Edit the FAQ and product pages so that customers can get answers without having to send an email.
- Manage our social media accounts and Team Tortuga site.
- Be one of the faces of the business online. Contribute to off-site discussions about Tortuga by being helpful, not sales-y.
- Document how you work so that your tasks can be delegated or improved in the future.
- Look for trends in customer feedback to help us improve existing products and create new ones.
- Build and nurture a community of like-minded travelers. This is an upcoming project that you will own.
Why This Role?
The Concierge will start as an hourly position working 10-20 hours per week at $18/hour.
You can work from anywhere. You control your own hours but will be expected to respond to customers daily during US business hours. Living in North or South America is ideal.
If all goes well, your role and responsibilities will increase.
We will provide Standard Operating Procedures and screencasts for your most common tasks. You’ll be encouraged to document your processes and to automate your most repetitive tasks. You will be free to focus on helping customers and creatively solving problems, not typing the same answers over and over.
Do Not Apply If…
- You are not interested in customer service. We have great customers and 1-2 hours of email-based work needed per day. You will have plenty of time for other projects. However, you will be answering customer emails. If you aren’t interested in helping people, don’t apply.
- You like working at a big company. We are a small business. There is no HR department. There are no layers of management. If you need something done, you do it.
How to Apply
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Make the subject line “Concierge [Your Name]”
- Write 3-5 paragraphs about:
- Who you are
- What relevant experience you have
- Why you are a good fit for the Concierge role
- Why you want to work with Tortuga Backpacks
If you have any questions, contact us. If you know anyone who would be a good fit for this role, please forward this post to him/her.
We look forward to reading everyone’s applications and to welcoming a new member to the team.